Friday, September 24, 2010

Seasons Change and Bring a Few of My Favorite Things



This time of year is my absolute favorite. The fall crispness in the air. The sound of crunching leaves underfoot. Cozy sweaters and steaming drinks to warm you from the inside out. As we get closer to moving across the country I get more excited to experience Autumn on the East coast. I can't wait to take L. to go pick out a pumpkin at a farm and to have his first hay ride! These are things that I never did as a child that I've always wanted to do and it fills my heart full of joy to know that he will have those memories.

Autumn also makes me want to pull out my all time favorite book, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I read it for the first time when I was about 9 years old with my mom. We would take turns reading a chapter to each other every night. I have read it more time then I can count. Every time I open it's worn pages it takes me back to their world that I feel I'm sort of part of, like they are my sisters I never had. Jo is my favorite, but I relate to each of them in different ways. Jo's strong will and ambition to succeed as a woman on her own, Meg's longing to have a family and normalcy, Beth's quietness and sincerity, and Amy's love of the arts. I also adore the movie versions as well, the one with Winona Ryder as Jo being my favorite. The soundtrack is wonderful too. I like to put it on when I'm cleaning around the house or just relaxing at home when it's just me there.

I have 2 copies of Little Women the first is my original copy which has Little Men on the other side of it which I also loved. It was part of a series of classic novels my mom had bought for me to read with her. The collection is long gone except for this one!


The second copy was a Christmas gift from my mom when the 1994 movie came out which had photos of the movie inside of it. The cover looks just like the one below.

These books are cherished by my so much and I know I could never part with them! So they will travel with us to PA and where ever we end up after that! Nothing like snuggling up in a quilt reading a good book while sipping your favorite tea which happens to be Stash's Christmas Eve. If you see it in the grocery store this holiday be sure to snatch it up! It is so yummy! In fact I think I'm off to go brew my a cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment