Saturday, August 21, 2010

Waste Free Lunches

L. starts Kindergarten next week! I'm so excited for my little man. I personally loved school (well at least the elementary part anyway!) and I know he is going to do great. We didn't have lunch at school in Kindergarten, but L.'s school does so that means I get to be "Super Mom" and make lunches for him to take.

Trying to be eco-friendly I'm going to make his lunches "waste free" meaning there will be nothing thrown away. I have some bento boxes and containers to use that are super cute and fun. We are already paper free in the kitchen, but I plan on making up some cloth napkins in flannel as well as some cool sandwich baggies just for school.

L. loves water and prefers it to juice so I am ordering this:


I can fill them all up with water on Sunday night and he can pick out a bottle to take with him every morning! They are sold on Walmart's website and are really not too bad of a price considering you get 5 bottles and a holder. They also have some in girly colors and designs and larger bottles for adults.

Not only is waste free lunches eco-friendly, but healthier too. Instead of buying the Sam's Club box of individual bags of chips (Cheeto's individual bag has 10g of total fat source) make some cinnamon apple chips (a fun project to do with the kids!) which is fat free and just as tasty! Here is a recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 large apples

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 250°. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Using a serrated knife or mandoline, thinly slice the apples crosswise, discarding the seeds and both ends. Arrange in a single layer on parchment-paper-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.

  2. Bake the apple slices, turning every half hour, until dry, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove and transfer to racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.


I have some more ideas on creative lunches and want to post pics of my napkins and baggies so look out for that in a future post. L. will have the coolest lunch in his class and be helping save our planet in the process. I encourage everyone with kids in school to try to make less waste in their lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment