Thursday, March 4, 2010

Crafty Endeavors

img from flickr acct libertygrace0


I've been doing arts and crafts my whole life. There was a time in my life where I thought of going to school for art and actually doing it for a living. Then the thought of being a "struggling artist" kinda put a damper on that dream! Being a SAHM means having little time for yourself. I always feel like I'm doing things for others (not that I mind! It's my job after all!) I am feeling a desire for some "me time."

Over the past couple of years I've been giving diaper cakes as presents for expecting friends. Everyone seems to love them and tell me I should really sell them. I've had that thought in my mind, but those insecure thoughts take over telling myself "They aren't that good." or "No one would buy these!" As I continue to make them just for fun the more I feel like this is something that really could catch on as well as help me find my individual identity again. If I could sell them or maybe just set up a class to teach people on how to make them I'm thinking that it would bring me great joy and a feeling of success!

Here is the latest one I have finished. I try to take pics of them before I give them away so I can use it for inspiration when I need ideas.

Cute huh!? Daddy is a State Trooper and Mommy is a police dispatcher!

I'm also thinking of doing gift baskets to sell as well.

I made this one for my friends little girl who is turning 7.

Here is what this basket cost me to make. I think that it was pretty reasonable and still not "cheap." I got everything at Michaels Craft Store.

Basket: 2.49 on sale
Basket filler "grass": 2.29
Sticker book: 1.00
Fuzzy art: 1.00
Pencils: 1.00
Notebook: 1.00
Melty bead craft: 1.00
Suncatcher craft: 1.00
Coin Purse craft: 1.00
Bubbles: 1.00
Ribbon for bow: 1.50
Clear bag: 1.29
Total: 15.57

So for less than 20 bucks I got a beautiful, fun gift with tons of things for a 7 year old to do! I really hope she likes it.

So the thought is in my head now I just need to see if I can turn this idea into a business. Even if I don't make much, I think the pride I would get from making things for others is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment